Friday, September 16, 2016

Making Bumblestook 100% Again

After coming back from Nationals we discovered several issues with Bumblestook after dropping her off with SJF Performance. We have another NNJR SCCA event this weekend so I wanted to see if we could get her sorted before then and SJF was kind enough to work on the car while I was at work.

Steering rack out - SJF Performance - 9/15/2016
We had to replace the steering rack bushings and normally I'd just get solid bushings. Unfortunately that's not allowed in Street Prepared so I ordered a set of Mugen steering rack bushings from King Motorsports which are made of a stiffer rubber but created in the OEM mold for perfect fitment.

Mugen steering rack hard rubber bushings - 9/15/2016
I had ordered a new set of tie rod ends before heading out to Nationals since they started to have some play in them so he replaced those while the steering rack was out anyway.
New OEM Tie Rod Ends - 9/15/2016
In the process of replacing all this, SJF also noticed that the J's Racing offset camber joint was starting to leak some grease so I'll have to add this to the list of items to replace over the winter. It's fine for now but I can't leave it like this for next year.

J's racing camber joint with torn boot - 9/15/2016
The cracked exhaust also got welded up as a temporary fix. I'll likely have to figure out a better way to drive Bumblestook into the storage unit without scraping on the concrete floor on my way up the ramp and then replace this piece altogether.

Rewelded exhuast pipe - SJF Performance - 9/15/2016
The diff fluid was flushed as I always do after a big event. Fluid looked good so at least for now I think this diff is in decent shape though I'll likely be getting a new one and make this my spare over the winter. The clutch packs are starting to slip a little, allowing for wheel spin.

Changed diff fluid - SJF Performance - 9/15/2016
Lastly, she went back up the rack to reset her alignment. Everything got finished and we're all set to be at the Meadowlands again this Saturday to give her a shake down.

On the rack getting ready for alignment - 9/15/2016