Tuesday, November 10, 2015

S2000 East Coast Road Trip - Day 2

Day 2 didn't start off any better than how day 1 ended. It poured overnight and it was going to keep raining until late morning. It wasn't going to dampen my spirits though as I knew the majority of the day was going to be nice and my destination for today was Florida so I set off before 7am and starting racking up the miles.

A gray, wet start to day 2 - North Carolina - 11/10/2015
I forged through North Carolina and it dried up enough just before entering South Carolina to drop the top and enjoy some open air action. It was still very chilly though so the heat was on full blast despite the sun being present. Since it was still early in the morning, there was no one at the South Carolina rest stop so I took the opportunity to whip out the old camera and tripod to take a proper photo with Lupa to commemorate this adventure.

A man and his car going on an adventure
South Carolina - 11/10/2015

I don't really have much to say about South Carolina other than they need to have better rest stops. The rest stops were a bit sad compared with North Carolina and during some parts of I-95, as I looked over and saw the heavy brush and swampy areas, I couldn't help but think of The Walking Dead. I'm sure it's a great state but if you only get the I-95 experience, you're not getting excited about anything. I was supposed to just pass through Georgia but since I was making good time, I thought it might be interesting to make a stop in Savannah. I'm a bit of a closet history and old movie geek so when I think of Savannah, Georgia, all that pops into mind are scenes from Gone with the Wind.

Savannah, Georgia - 11/10/2015
I spent a few hours walking through the historic district taking mental notes of the old architecture and snapping a few photos and had lunch at the Savannah Coffee Roasters on W. Liberty St. I know this is a blog about a car but as a foodie, when I get good food, I have to mention it. This was by far one of the best meat pies I've ever tasted. The beef stew was tender, rich and hearty. It tasted home made, the kind of food you'd expect to eat in the south. If you ever find yourself in the area, I'd definitely recommend it.

Lunch at Savannah Coffee Roasters - 11/10/2015
I killed a bit too much time in Savannah but thankfully the drive to the Florida border wasn't too far. There I was greeted with free super fresh Florida orange juice at the welcome center staffed with very friendly Floridians. It was sunny and warm just as you'd want a drive through Florida to be. I picked up some brochures for places I'm thinking about going to while I'm here. One crazy story from this rest stop...an old dude was parked right next to me. As I'm getting ready to leave, he walks up to me and says it's a really nice car. He then proceeds to say that the only problem with the car is that it seems to have a small trunk...not big enough to stick women into! WTF!?? Yes, I quickly got out of there. Crazy old man!

Finally in Florida - 11/10/2015
Things to do in Florida - 11/10/2015
Unfortunately, while I did enter Florida. I still had a good 4-5 hours left of driving before reaching my stop for the day in Palm Beach so I had to do the bulk of remaining drive in darkening conditions and watching the lightning in the horizon hoping I could make it to the hotel without having to put the top up. Tomorrow,  I get to check off the major milestone of this trip when I get into Key West but for now....sleep.

Onto Day 3...