Friday, May 13, 2022

NYST Uptown with S2K Takeover

After my disappointing time at Lime Rock last month that was cut short by oil pressure issues, I was excited to get back out on track again. Although I had no issues at the autocross last month after replacing the oil pressure sender and fixing the wiring, only doing long track runs would really tell me if I fixed it. The 18 corners in about 2.5 miles at NYST is a sure fire way to make sure we're truly in the clear.

NYST Uptown - 5-13-2022

I took the first two sessions as installation sessions to both make sure my oil pressure issues were gone but to also feel out the Continental ExtremeContact Force. Glad to say not a single warning light even as much as blipped. For the tires, I was expecting lower grip and the back definitely wanted to slide out a bit more under trail braking now. I had to catch the rear several times on the first two sessions. I took out some rear pressure ending up 30psi front and 28psi rear cold and that really helped the rear settle down. I was able to push harder slowly work towards finding the limits. 

Bumblestook @ NYST Uptown - 1:43.9

Although they do hit a peak, they tend to plateau and stay there. Even with a bitch first sector and having to slow a bit to deal with track debris, I was able to get to within a few tenths of my personal best on Yokohamas. There was definitely more pace out there but some minor incidents in each session that resulted in track debris put a damper on really seeing what they could do. Overall I'm super satisfied with this tire choice. They're not going to win you any time trials but if you want a track tire that has consistent feel each lap once they hit their peak, this is one tire to consider. 

The old track crew

It was also great to see Rad and Dhariel back out on track. Last time we went to the track together was almost 13 years ago. Also great seeing some OG S2K faces I hadn't seen in a minute and practice my mind blowing magic tricks. 

Buncha weirdos
NYST Uptime
Photo By: Peter Levins