Friday, January 14, 2022

Fluid Film

Jeeps are pretty notorious for rusting but surprisingly Chopper doesn't have that much, just a bit of normal surface rust here and there. We'd like to keep it that way so I went to see an old S2000 buddy @dedonderosa (Stephen Derosa) to have the underbody Fluid Film coated. 

Fluid Film Coated - 1-14-2021

Fluid Film is a Lanolin based rust inhibitor / lubricant. It can be pretty messy to put on and smells like farm animals so I'm glad to not have to do this myself. Lanolin is a waxy substance derived from sheep's wool which is probably why it stinks so much. Thankfully the Jeep is parked outdoors so it can air out. I can't even imagine how it would smell if I put it inside a garage.


Steve puts a few coats so it's nice and thick and could last for as long as 2 years though I may have him add a coating each year for extra protection since I'm sure this will eventually wash off over time. 


This penetrates into the metal to displace any water, which is the primary source of rust, but since it never dries it can be a bit messier over time which is why I waited until we were largely done with any mechanical work under the car before getting this done. The tradeoff to the potential mess and smell is good rust prevention. Time will tell of course how well it protects but the Toyota truck boys swear by this and we all know how rusty those can get :D


Now we can rest a bit easier driving through the salt and brine on the road.