Thursday, October 1, 2020

New Suspension Setup and Upgraded Brake Feel

My goal for all my cars nowadays is to make them capable of doing whatever I want whenever I feel like it whether that means car meets, street driving, autocross, or even some track time. I just no longer want to be limited to one activity so special purpose builds for me are a thing of the past (for now at least). The Cayman has been terrific fun but the competition focused MCS setup I had was less than ideal for bumpy NY/NJ roads. I wouldn't call them unbearable but as I've gotten older, I want the ability to have a more comfortable ride when I choose to. My Cayman came with PASM (Porsche Active Suspension) that allows for a comfortable street ride in regular mode and a more aggressive ride in sport mode. However, it's still a bit too soft so I wanted an upgraded version of that stock setup. The answer of course was from the very company that makes the OEM Porsche dampers, Bilstein. 

Bilstein B16 Damptronic
Photo from: Bilstein

Bilstein makes a B16 Damptronic coilover system that gives me full height adjustability, uprated springs and most importantly integration with the factory PASM controller. I picked these up from our good friends at Tatis Motorsports. Since these are compatible with the factory PASM controller, it means that in the future I can also fit my car with a DSC sport controller for even better active damper control, something I plan to do over the winter. When you normally install these you're suppose to move over the top hats and a few other pieces from your stock suspension but that's just not my style. I went with Tarett Engineering monoball shock mounts front and rear and all new hardware. 

Tarett Monoball front top mount

Tarett Monoball rear dome top mount

The box barely fit in the rear trunk but it does so I dropped the car off with Bryan and his team at Speedsport Tuning a few week ago to have them swap it in. Swapping out suspension is unfortunately a bit more cumbersome now that I have a rollbar installed but thankfully since it's all bolt in and sectional, it wasn't as horrible as it could've been. They reinstalled and re-activated my PASM controller which was previously disabled and removed when the MCS 2WNR dampers were installed by them almost 2 years ago. I'm quite happy that all the buttons that I actually paid extra for when I specifically looked for a PASM Cayman S are working again.


Damper button works again
(Sport automatically activates it as well)

Since I'm expecting that the springs to settle a bit in the next few weeks I had them reset it to near factory ride height. It doesn't look horrible but once the springs settle, I definitely want to drop the height a bit and re-align. For now it's got a baseline alignment (max camber up front, etc) just so I can do some testing this weekend with the NNJR SCCA.

Rear dampers installed

Front dampers installed and marked

A little higher ride height for now - 10-1-2020

I also made holes in my old front frunk panels to easily make shock adjustments but since I won't be needing that now, I bought new ones so that the car looks unmolested again.

Time to replace some panels

Frunk looking fresh

Another issue I wanted to address was the brake pedal feel. Boiling my brake fluid at The Glen a few months ago was bad but I finally got to feel what people were saying about the Cayman brake pedal in general. Under aggressive repeated braking in track conditions, it just feels a bit spongy, even on fresh fluid. The fix is to replace the brake master cylinder with one from a GT3. You've got to love how Porsches are like Lego and you can just pretty much swap stuff between their different models of the same generation. I ordered a brand new brake master cylinder from FCP Euro which the shop also swapped in along with a full brake flush. The pedal feels fantastic now. It's super firm and has a very solid feel that really gives you a lot of confidence. They also do a trick where they recode the computer to think it has PCCBs so that it doesn't freak out about the new brake pressure. 100% would recommend this upgrade.

GT3 Brake Master Cylinder


Overall the ride feels really good. In normal mode, the car feels firm and critically damped as you'd expect from a sports car and if you run over some uneven surfaces, it soaks those up quite nicely. Sport mode stiffens up the dampers a bit. I'd say in sport mode they feel a bit closer to my old MCS setup on the street but still do a better job of absorbing rough road conditions. I'm really happy with this change and I can only imagine how these dampers will respond after we get the DSC controller and 3-axis yaw sensor installed.

Lastly, I wanted to get an oil sample to send over to SPEEDiagnostix so I had them do an oil change. I'm curious how the Driven Racing DT-40 oil handled the super hot 2-day track day and whether I need to run more racing purpose oil when doing track days. 

Maintenance Update:

Mileage: 42,513 miles
- 8.5 quarts Driven DT-40 oil, NAPA gold oil filter
- New magnetic drain plug
- New GT3 brake master cylinder
- Brake flush with Motul RBF660