Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Driven DT-40 Oil - OK for Track Use

I last changed the oil on the Cayman in October 2019, so about a year ago, but due to everything that was going on in the beginning of the year I never got around to changing it before going to Watkins Glen in July 2020. This actually isn't as bad as it sounds since the car was parked most of the time due the global pandemic but still probably not ideal. I had also read that Drive DT-40 oil isn't really recommended for track use and that I should be running their Driven XP-9 oil instead which is a dedicated race oil. Since I was driving to the track and back, I wanted to see if DT-40 would be ok anyway. I already had a box of XP-9 around but that oil that only lasts 500 miles apparently so is probably more ideal if I was trailering the car there.

Latest Oil Analysis - 10-7-2020

Anyhow, between two very hot track days in the middle of summer and the length of time the oil was there, I really wanted to know the condition of it all so when Speedsport Tuning installed my Bilsteins a week or so ago, I had them get an oil sample for me which I sent to SPEEDiagnostix. I had an oil sample done in mid 2019 before going to Nationals so I'd be able to see how it compared. Just a note here that today's oil analysis was street + track, and my previous oil analysis was street + autocross. Both samples had been in the car for roughly the same number of miles.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the results were even better than my previous oil test. I have even fewer wear metal particples present and while the oxidation value continues to stay on the high side, that's expected from an oil that's used hard. In fact, the oxidation value is slightly better than last time despite the oil being run even harder. The engine continues to show good health. More importantly, it shows that Driven DT-40 is certainly capable of being used as a track oil even in the middle of summer so I think I'll continue to use it as my main oil for the Cayman under both street and track conditions.