Sunday, September 2, 2018

Mugen Aero Bonnet

About eight months went by since I ordered the Mugen Aero Bonnet. It got fabricated, then shipped from Japan and arrived here a few weeks ago but I only had time to actually put it on today. The fitment, finish, and quality is next to none. It weighs a scant 10lbs and is designed to keep engine temps down which I was able to verify on the drive back. Bumblestook has her original color scheme back. Might not be everyone's cup of tea but I love it and that's really all that matters.

Mugen Aero Bonnet - 9-2-2018
The hood was all packaged up very nicely which is nice since I was able to reuse the box to store my OEM hood for the future if I ever decide to put it back on (yea right haha).

Mugen Aero Bonnet - 9-2-2018
Mugen (left), OEM (right) - 9-2-2018
Ready for install - 9-2-2018
It was a pretty straightforward swap but I did have to raise the hood latch up in order for the hood to lock properly. I don't even know if photos do the hood justice but the dry carbon 1x1 weave is gorgeous.

Mugen 1x1 weave dry carbon - 9-2-2018
Mugen 1x1 weave dry carbon - 9-2-2018
Unlike the replicas out there, Mugen thought of everything including adding rain channels to redirect the water if it rains despite the scoops being open.

Rain channels - 9-2-2018
Vented to perfection - 9-2-2018

I was in Tokyo earlier this year and picked up a really nice model of a yellow Mugen S2000. I'd say that's pretty close now.

Big Boys Toys - 9-2-2018

Big thanks to Alex for giving me an extra set of hands to get the hood on today. We figured we'd do a quick photoshoot of our cars while we were at it.

S4 and S2000 - 9-2-2018
Bronze wheel squad - 9-2-2018
Once we get back from the track in a few weeks, she'll go back to PeeJ so the hood can get ceramic coated as well. I think I'm going to leave it unpainted at this point. The weave just looks too good to be hidden under paint.