Saturday, September 19, 2020

New Accelerator Pedal

I received my new Rennline Rev2 fully adjustable accelerator pedal so I wanted to get that installed today but before I got dirty from messing around in the footwell, I went ahead and installed a few interior pieces that also came in. First up was the Scarlett badge in Magneto font in a brushed finish by Kyle at Rebadge.com. It took almost a month to get it but it was worth the wait. Fits perfectly on the glove box door for a nice little personal detail.

Custom "Scarlett" Badge - 9-19-2020

Unfortunately, air-cooled 911s don't have any adjustment in the steering wheel position and the steering wheel was just a little bit further away from me than I would typically prefer. I found out that Momo made a 15mm spacer that included longer bolts. It surprisingly makes quite a difference as my arms are at a better angle so I feel I have better leverage on the wheel and as a result, better control. It also moves my fingers away from the dash further so there's less chance of hitting the indicator or wiper stalks when I'm turning.

Momo 15mm Steering Wheel Spacer

Momo 15mm Steering Wheel Spacer Installed

Momo 15mm Steering Wheel Spacer Installed

The factory accelerator pedal is removed by simply taking out the two 10mm bolts at its base and disconnecting it from the rod ball end. I had assembled the new pedal at home taking a rough guess at where I'd want the pedal to sit. There are so many levels of adjustment you can go nuts tweaking it to your preferences. The main thing I was after with this pedal is that the throttle rod is bolted into place rather than just being popped into a hole using friction. I can also raise the pedal more to make heel-toe easier. 

Removing the two 10mm bolts at the base of the factory pedal

Rennline Rev2 Fully Adjustable Pedal (left) vs
Factory plastic pedal with Rennaline aluminum cover (right)

New pedal attached to rod end

I got lucky that once I installed it, the position was pretty much spot on right from the start. I may make some minor adjustments in the future but it feels pretty good where it is now. One thing I noticed driving the car around after installation was that the added weight made it require a bit less effort to actuate the throttle. This made my throttle movements smoother. It even made rev-matching easier. I would definitely recommend this setup for anyone that wants a very reliable high-quality adjustable accelerator pedal setup on their 911. 

New Rennline Adjustable Throttle Pedal Installed