Monday, July 22, 2019

New Battery...Who Dis?

As some of you that follow my blog know, in my last outing with Bumblestook during the 234 Tech Day, I had a bit of a battery problem with my Antigravity ATX-30. I contacted Antigravity and their assessment was that somehow my S2000 charging system overcharged the battery. We can't really tell for sure since it's illegal to ship a possibly defective battery even though the battery now works again so I can't really get the battery back to them for further analysis. They did, however, warranty replace my ATX-30. Due to my previous issue, they replaced it with an ATX-30-HD (heavy duty) version instead. This was just released and is a whopping $160 more than the ATX-30 (msrp) and no, I was not asked to pay the difference.

New Antigravity ATX-30-HD LiFePO4 battery
This does weigh a bit more than the ATX-30 I originally got (7lbs 12.5oz vs 5lbs 11oz) and it doesn't have their Re-Start technology which I'm fine giving up if this one works just fine. What it does give me is a pretty insane 970 CCAs which is a bit nutty because that's almost the same CCAs as the H6/Group-48 Antigravity battery I got for the Cayman. More importantly, it's focused to work on Performance Street/Race Vehicles, Larger Touring Bikes and, um...experimental aircraft. This means it has a full battery management system to protect from over-discharge/over-charge as well as thermal protections.

New Antigravity ATX-30-HD LiFePO4 battery
Needless to say, this battery is going right in and hopefully that's the last of my battery problems. Huge shout out to Antigravity for standing by their product and making sure I as well taken care of. They could've just sent me a direct replacement for my old one and had me scratching my head on whether or not I would put it back in. Instead, they listened to the my issue, the application this is for, and sent me a battery that at least on paper, is a more appropriate fit for what it's installed in.