Friday, June 8, 2018

Interior Complete and Ice Cold AC

Now that the exterior is all done, it was time to finally put the interior back together so it was back to SJF Performance to finish her up. I already had a suede Mugen steering wheel but opted to freshen things up with a new Mugen Racing III Steering from King Motorsports in leather this time around.

Interior back in - 6-8-2018
I really like alcantara steering wheels but I chose leather to better deal with sweaty hands from longer track sessions. They're still made by Momo and with the car so fresh on the outside, I wanted an equally fresh wheel on the inside.

Mugen Steering - 6-8-2018
We put the re-upholstered Recaro Pole position seats and door panels back in and finally setup the 6-pt harnesses. We did some basic test fitting before but now it's all properly mounted and all the straps adjusted to fit perfectly. 

Recaro Pole Position and Schroth 6-pt harnesses - 6-8-2018
When she was a BSP car I actually had no more floor mats in the car since I never drove her on the street and we had to remove mats for racing anyway. I wanted to go with OEM mats that matched the rest of the interior so I also put in a new set of OEM CR floor mats since they come from the factory with the S2000 logo in yellow. Of course, a JDM inspired interior wouldn't be complete without something Kawaii (cute) so I've got a Honda Asimo mascot hanging from the rollbar. 

S2000 CR Floor Mats - 6-8-2018
Honda Asimo - 6-8-2018
When the car left SJF Performance after all most of the mechanical work was done, it was still March and snow was still covering the ground. We couldn't refill the AC at the time but today it was a balmy 83F and recharging to the AC took no time at all and at full blast the temperature of the air coming out of the vents is a very chilly 49F at full blast. 

AC Recharging - 6-8-2018
One unfortunate issue I had recently was that the passenger side window goes down just fine with window switch but not up. After doing some research we tested a number of things. The relay seems fine, the motor runs if we apply power to it directly, there are no blown fuses and the driver and passenger side switch responds to at least one direction so I don't think the switch is bad either. The likely culprit in this case is a faulty soft top control unit. Even though Bumblestook doesn't have a soft top, the control unit is still connected and has been know to fail over time. Unfortunately the soft top control unit not only controls a soft top (if installed), it also controls the passenger side window. I ordered another one so hopefully we can pop that in when it arrives and see if that fixes the problem permanently. For now we just ran power directly to the motor so that the window is up. 

Lojack removed - 6-8-2018
The other highly annoying thing I've noticed is that there's been some bad parasitic drain on the car and even though I had a full battery, after only 4 days, I had to jump start the car this morning (though it at last had some power, just not enough to crank the engine). The car is pretty simple and the usual suspects of dome and trunk lights were easily eliminated. The radio is basic and there really are no other electronics in the car that are on constant power. The only thing I thought of was a Lojack system installed by the previous owner when the car left the dealership in 2002. I suspect after 16 years in the car, it could be doing something funky so I ripped it out as no one uses Lojack nowadays anyway. Hopefully this cures the problem as I can't think of anything else in the car that could possibly be drawing power all the time.